If you’re looking for a great night out in June, Tel Aviv opens its heart and soul with the annual White Night shindig.
Pretty much the entire city will be alive with various concerts, shows and other happenings, headlong into the wee hours. In the spotlight on this long, long night: the city’s extraordinary architecture and its amazing nightlife.
What is White Night?
Originally initiated in 2005 to celebrate the recognition of Tel Aviv’s White City (Tel Aviv’s magnificent collection of Bauhaus buildings – see our full guide) as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization), Tel Aviv has since made White Night an annual bash, usually celebrated on the last Thursday in June (mark your diaries!). This year (2018) it’s on Thursday 28 June.
What to see on White Night
At the same time throughout the city, dozens of events take place in cultural and art centers, commercial establishments and clubs citywide, many of which stay open late, and outdoor performances are held until the early hours of the morning. The events are open to the general public, mainly free-of-charge or for a nominal fee, and tourists, visitors and locals can enjoy a wide variety of great events.
Some of the annual highlights on White Night in Tel Aviv (I believe most are free to enter):
- Many of Tel Aviv’s Bauhaus buildings on Rothschild and Bialik Streets are lit up throughout the night with special spotlights highlighting unique architectural elements.
- Rothschild Street is going to be buzzing with action, including circus acts, street bands, and dancers dressed in white and “lit up” flitting through the crowds. Rothschild Street is very much at the heart of the action!
- Kikar Rabin will have its usual headphone party, with music and dancing (all via headphones) kicking off at 8pm and continuing way past midnight.
- Jaffa Flea Market is usually open all night long.
- Join legendary Israeli singers at dawn on Tzuk beach (usually starts at 1am).
- Tours conducted by the Tourism Association of Tel Aviv-Yafo.
- Many great restaurants/bars offer a one-off deal especially for White Night.
For a complete guide to what’s on and where in Tel Aviv, and there’s A LOT, see the “official” guide on Facebook (in Hebrew only unfortunately) here.
If you’re looking for an app that will take you to the things that interest YOU on White Night, download getsidekix – and thank us later :-)