UPDATED for 2018!
Every spring, the Negev desert wows and amazes with a bloom of anemones (known as kalanyot in Hebrew) that truly will take your breath away.
To celebrate this amazing natural wonder, in which much of the desert landscape is covered in a sea of red, the annual Darom Adom festival takes place during the month of January/February, with each weekend dedicated to highlighting the very best of the region.
There are some really great things to see, especially if the weather holds out (it typically does, but it is still wintry, so there is a reasonable chance of rain). Some of the regular highlights we’d recommend include heading down to Re’im , a popular picnic area, and the nearby Be’eri Dairy, plus many of the kibbutzim in the area, including Kibbutz Kissufim and Kibbutz Ruhama.
The 2018 Darom Adom Festival takes place over the following four weekends, with each weekend taking on a different theme:
- February 1-3
- February 8-10
- February 15-17
- February 22-24
Some of the events that we think might catch your eye include (there are also PLENTY of other things to see and do in the area, for all the family!):
- Mosh Ben Ari – an unplugged gig from one of Israel’s best artists (1 February, at the Dorot Olam, call *8949 for details).
- Green Pub celebrations! – Each weekend at Niram the legendary local pub will be celebrating with DJ sets and stand up & live acts!
- Bedouin Market – February 4 and 18 (to be confirmed), there will be an authentic Bedouin market at the Beit Kama Junction, between 10:00 – 15:00.
- The Kalanyot Walk – 24 February from 08:30-15:00 – choose one of three family friendly walks through the stunning fields of the kalanyot (anemones) at the Nature Park at Kibbutz Ruhama. Call 072-2510271 for details – 35 shekels per person (there’s a family ticket for 5 that costs 150 shekels), with lots of events and things to do along the way.
- Mountain Biking Marathon – at Kibbutz Be’eri on February 10 (to be confirmed). Open to all, choose from one of 3 routes, all taking place in one of Israel’s most beautiful bike tracks. For more details, call 077-7295716.
- The Israel Ballet – performing White Swan at the Eshkol Municipality Hall on 15 February, the show starts at 8 pm and costs 80 shekels.
- Tuna – Hugely popular Israeli band Tuna will be performing at the Be’er Pub in Kibbutz Ze’elim on 23 February. For tickets, call *8949.
- Clementine picking – February 4 and 25 (to be confirmed). Head to Nir Moshe to fill up your baskets with clementines, for 5 shekels a pop! For more details and to reserve a spot, call 077-7295715.
- The Kalanyot Run – February 17, at Shukda Forest (to be confirmed). Enjoy 5 or 10km runs through some amazing scenery; call 050-6865808 for details.
- Check out the official site for even more events and details (mostly in Hebrew). You can also try calling 08-9949374 for details.
Head South this February!