UPDATED for 2017!
Every spring, the Negev desert wows and amazes with a bloom of anemones (known as kalanyot in Hebrew) that truly will take your breath away.
To celebrate this amazing natural wonder, in which much of the desert landscape is covered in a sea of red, the annual Darom Adom festival takes place during the month of January/February, with each weekend dedicated to highlighting the very best of the region.
There are some really great things to see, especially if the weather holds out (it typically does, but it is still wintry, so there is a reasonable chance of rain). Some of the regular highlights we’d recommend include heading down to Re’im , a popular picnic area, and the nearby Be’eri Dairy, plus many of the kibbutzim in the area, including Kibbutz Kissufim and Kibbutz Ruhama.
The 2017 Darom Adom Festival takes place over the following four weekends, with each weekend taking on a different theme:
- February 2-4
- February 9-11
- February 16-18
- February 23-25
Some of the events that we think might catch your eye include (there are also PLENTY of other things to see and do in the area, for all the family!):
- Shlomi Shaban and his piano – featuring a truly great local artist, Shlomi Shaban and his piano, plus special guest Shlomo Gronich. The concert takes place on February 2; tickets are 134 shekels apiece for the concert which will take place at the Olam Dorot (call *8949 for details).
- Green Pub celebrations! – Each weekend at Niram the legendary local pub will be celebrating its 13th year with DJ sets and stand up & live acts!
- Bedouin Market – February 4 and 18, there will be an authentic Bedouin market at the Beit Kama Junction, between 10:00 – 15:00.
- The Kalanyot Walk – 4 February from 08:30-15:00 – choose one of three family friendly walks through the stunning fields of the kalanyot (anemones) at the Nature Park at Kibbutz Ruhama. Call 072-2510271 for details – 35 shekels per person (there’s a family ticket for 5 that costs 150 shekels), with lots of events and things to do along the way.
- Ehud Banai concert – 9 February, at the Eshkol Municipality Hall. Tickets cost 144 shekels, call *8949 for details.
- Mountain Biking Marathon – at Kibbutz Be’eri on February 10. Open to all, choose from one of 3 routes, all taking place in one of Israel’s most beautiful bike tracks. For more details, call 077-7295716.
- Clementine picking – February 4 and 25. Head to Nir Moshe to fill up your baskets with clementines, for 5 shekels a pop! For more details and to reserve a spot, call 077-7295715.
- The Kalanyot Run – February 17, at Shukda Forest. Enjoy 5 or 10km runs through some amazing scenery; call 050-6865808 for details.
- Rami Kleinstein and Keren Peles concert – two well-loved Israeli singers who are teaming up for a special joint concert on February 23. The gig takes place at the Eshkol Municipality Hall. Tickets cost 164 shekels, call *8949 for details.
- Check out the official site for even more events and details (mostly in Hebrew). You can also try calling 08-9949374 for details.
Head South this February!