So, we’re all young once, right? And a lot of us had this fancy socialist vibe surging through our bones in our younger years and hence Israel and the idea of volunteering on a kibbutz came calling? Well, I know it did for me, and I guess it did too for some of the following stars:
- Jerry Seinfeld, the American comedian and star of the television comedy “Seinfeld” volunteered at the age of 17 in Kibbutz Sa’ar in 1971 – he had this too say: “I didn’t like the kibbutz. Nice Jewish boys from Long Island don’t like to get up at six in the morning to pick bananas.”
- Sacha Baron Cohen, or Ali G or Borat as you might know him, the British comedian volunteered in Kibbutz Rosh HaNikra for a year in the late 1980s.
- Sigourney Weaver, the American actress who starred in the Alien series, volunteered in a Kibbutz for several months at the age of 18 in 1967.
- Simon Le Bon, the lead singer of Duran Duran, volunteered in Kibbutz Gvulot. The band’s first album included a track called Tel Aviv.
- Sandra Bernhard, the American comedian, actress, author and singer, volunteered in Kibbutz Kfar Menachem at the age of 17 in 1972.
- Debra Winger, the American actress and the star of “An Officer and a Gentleman”, volunteered on a kibbutz and even served in the IDF.
- Bob Hoskins, the British actor and the star of “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”, volunteered at Kibbutz Zikim at the age of 25 in 1967.
If this has tempted you into looking for information on what a kibbutz is all about, you should take a look here and here.